WE are reviewing new project management methods and software to continuously investigate how to improve our ability to work with projects. Not that PMI isn’t a good thing, but certification as THE end never is a good idea, as part of the package fine, but tools and systems change, as do the times we live in. Many plans simply age, and while useful, weaving them with new ideas can be productive as well.
The Action Method organizes all of your projects into their most basic elements:
- ACTION STEPS are tasks that need to be completed. Each Action Step should start with a verb: “Call Y,” “Follow up with X,” “Buy a gift for Z.”
- REFERENCES are notes, links, files, sketches – any information related to a project that gives context to your Action Steps.
- BACKBURNERS are the brilliant ideas that you want to come back to later, but are not yet actionable.
- DISCUSSIONS enable you to manage ongoing conversations across all of your projects with anyone that works with you. All relevant communications (shared documents, solutions to problems, feedback, decisions) are in one place.
- EVENTS are the key occasions/meetings/milestones/etc toward which you (and your team) are working. Events can be used to coordinate deadlines for Action Steps, aiding project management.
Well, I would explain more, but I am off to install the iPhone App for further testing. Take a look at all of this.