Find the full article at uh! 11 Obvious Science Findings of 2011, By Stephanie Pappas and LiveScience | December 31, 2011 |
In science, it’s not enough to think something is so. Researchers must show that what we believe to be true is in fact true, proven through statistically significant and reproducible results. Questioning assumptions is, after all, what science is about.
I know I am glad we have data now on these:
1. Unsafe sex is more likely after drinking
Drinking too much alcohol can impair decision-making.
2. Men appear confident by suppressing fear, pain and empathy
3. Smoking pot and driving isn’t safe4. Pigs love mud
5. Fashion magazines glorify youth
6. People with generous partners have happy marriages
7. Parents don’t think their kids are doing drugsParents are in denial about their own children’s bad habits.
8. People aren’t doing anything in particular on the Internet
9. Restricting driver’s licenses decreases teen fatalities
10. Most shoppers ignore nutrition labels
11. Presidents outlive their contemporaries
Money and knowledge tend to buy health and longevity.